Wednesday, February 11, 2009

National Civil Rights Museum

I am really looking forward to the National Civil Rights Museum visit. I had not been there since I did volunteer work back in the 90’s. Lot’s has changed since then. I think it’s a spectacular showcase of Memphis’ history. I am really excited about the innovations they may have to go along with some of the original walk- thru. I want to see the balcony again. It was quite amazing to me, how they’re able to preserve the blood that came from Dr. King after he was shot. This entire visit may be an experience to surely help me read Memphis as a text. I expect to get more insight as to how our past can culminate into our future as citizens of Memphis. Since taking this course, I am very optimistic about the progress that may await Memphis. I think I’m a bit naïve as far as any particular experiences, but from what I hear, Memphis could be better. Overall, I think it’s a great city to have a family and raise children. I am anxious to see what the city has to offer in terms of the National Civil Rights Museum.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really looking forward to it as well. I've never been in all the years I've lived here so it'll be a new experience for me.

krista

Jeni said...

I have been a couple of times, but back in the 90's as well. I went when it first opened, and then again for a class trip. It was a good learning experience then, and I can imagine that it has grown and changed in some ways. I'm excited to be going back. I tried to go last year on "MLK Day" but the line reached from the front door all the way to the end of the (long) block and around the corner a ways. I didn't think I would truly be able to gain anything from visiting it in such a packed crowd, so I left with plans to go back another day. I'm glad I'm getting the opportunity to do that now.