Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Casual Observations about Mystery Train

My favorite line from the movie is where Jun is giving Mitsuko a hard time about sleeping and she tells him something along the lines of "when you're dead you don't ever get to sleep again and no more dreams." I'm going to have to watch the movie again so I can get the exact quote, but it really stuck out for me. I thought that was a very fitting summary of the movie since all three stories have people chasing after unfulfilled dreams.

Also, Screaming Jay Hawkins voice sounded really familiar but I couldn't think of any songs of his so I did a little research. He's the original artist of one of the greatest songs ever "I Put a Spell on You," which was released in 1957. I'm attaching a link to a video of a performance he did of the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGPhpvqtOc I'm sure you've all heard it. The song was also featured prominently in another Jim Jarmusch movie Stranger than Paradise.

Also after seeing all the Elvis imagery in the movie I'm starting to feel guilty about the fact I've never been to Graceland. People come from all over the world to see it, but I've never been willing to go across town. Yes, it's very touristy and there is a certain ambivalence towards Elvis in Memphis, but I think he's a part of why this hick town got bigger. Not just him, but the whole music scene that brought in revenue for the city. I think I may have to go just for the sake of seeing that part of Memphis history. If anyone else has never been and wants to likewise embrace all things Memphis, I invite you to come along with me.

4 comments:

Douglas Branch said...

Hey, thanks for the Scremin' Jay Hawkins video. What a weird rendition of that song! I liked it, though. I didn't know he had ever done that song. But I knew it because Nina Simone, one of my very favorite singers, also sang it.

And I think you're right about Graceland. I'm feeling kind of like I don't think I need to make Graceland a requirement for the class, simply because it's so expensive. But I'd love to go again. It's been many years for me.

Gorea' Honors said...

I’ve never been either. I’d love to replace Hustle and Flow with a visit to Graceland. I think a class trip would encourage me to do something I’ve should have already. I think Elvis is a huge part of Memphis! I’m feeling really guilty as well. It looks beautiful from the outside. I’d love to go in. Maybe, if Doug is o.k. with this and if others are in favor, we can start budgeting now, just to insure it wouldn’t inconvenience anyone. I think Graceland will give us another opportunity to get outside the class and explore Memphis. I’m certain this visit would be extremely meaningful as well.

Anonymous said...

Although Graceland is a huge part of Memphis, I do not think that we should replace Hustle and Flow. It is also a huge part of Memphis' music scene, and a part that many people do not even know about. I do, because I've been in it, but I think everyone should see the underbelly of the Memphis Music Scene too.

Faith

Unknown said...

I agree with Faith, while Elvis is a part of Memphis' history and the tourism surrounding his life makes up a significant portion of our tourism dollars, Elvis is primarily part of Memphis' past. admittedly, we should not simply abandon our past, but much has been said and looked at in the way of Elvis' life and I for one neither have $25 dollars to spend on admission to Graceland nor do I think we should spend most of our time looking at Memphis past. we also need to examine and acknowledge some of the unique aspects of Memphis' present. one of the things that people don't always like to admit but really can't escape is that Memphis has and has had a very strong underground scene, both musical and erotic. I feel like we will really be missing out if we chose not to see this film.