Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mystery Train

I was awed by the movie Mystery Train. The standards of modesty gave me more intellect as to how practical aspects of people, could possibly be a depiction of one’s society. It’s cool to see how we are all so different, yet have similar ways of living. By this, I mean, we had an Italian, a teen age Japanese couple, and the three guys whose fates are all somewhat intertwined, yet they all seem to pursue some sense of hope after their worlds have dwindled. I think that this in itself made the movie interesting. There was so many places we could have went with this. I did expect the couple to be married as they were performing their love scene. But, the parallel that it has to the younger people in Memphis seems to be such a mirror of the Memphis scene today in regards to teens. Odd because, this was some 20 years ago and here we are with the same concepts then, going on now, involving different cultures and customs but similar behavior. The Italian woman was almost unreadable. You could not be too sure of what was quite going on with her. As for the three guys, it kind of caught me off guard that the movie would have that type of drama to it. Huh, why not? It’s title is Mystery Train. By the way, the cameo by Rufus Thomas was pretty neat. I was equally surprised that Jim Jarmusch could make this movie impact me the way that it did. I really was not expecting much since it was an independent film and low budget. He gets two thumbs up. Although the movie is quite old, I’d recommend it. It thrusts Memphis in the spotlight in a way I thought was not possible. And that hotel, I'd never forget.

No comments: