Wednesday, February 18, 2009

National Civil Rights Museum Visit

I really enjoyed the trip to the museum. It offered much needed insight into the history of the Civil Rights Movement. The actual walkthrough is nothing short of extraordinary. I feel it was strategically designed to help captivate those historical moments in time. Therefore, I was better able to grasp what was being put forth to me, almost as though I’d been there. The visuals, audio and other technical aspects did a lot to help give a perception of how things were during that particular time. The allusions were fantastic. I was particularly interested in the room that Dr. King and Ralph Abernathy shared, prior to his death. This is the scene whereas I can remember, and as with past visits including this one, emotions always take over. No Kleenex in sight! It felt surreal. I could barely compose myself. In the mist of it all, I wanted to get a gist of the type of people who would congregate at this sort of an event. True enough, they all seem to have a certain character about themselves. That is, that they embraced the concept of change and all that it has to offer. The displays and memorabilia were quite an attraction. I was able to receive take home information about many prominent citizens who earned their place in history. In the museum’s photography booth, I was also able to get a photo of myself which had this unique contract to seal the visit. I am definitely looking forward to returning there soon, along with exploring other wonderful sites that Memphis has to offer.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I feel the same about viewing the rooms. I commented when we went across the street how different the rooms looked from Mystery Train and how in the span of less than 25 years. (King was shot in and 1968 Mystery Train was filmed in 1989)the area went from a really nice area I wouldn't mind staying in to an area I'm having to try and be more comfortable in.