Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday and I went to church this morning to get my forehead marked. I was late because I got caught behind a truck going 10 miles and hour from Tipton County to Millington. I got there in time for communion, but missed the ashes. I was upset for all of 10 seconds because I knew Fr. Mike would ash me after mass if I asked. I was upset because I had been looking forward to my outward sign of repentance. We wear ashes to mark the beginning of Lent, the spiritual preparation before Easter. We get a small cross on the forehead, but I would have been right at home in the early days of the church when the penitent wore sack clothes and was covered in ashes until they could rejoin the community at Easter. This was done only for the most serious sins (breaking a commandment like murder or adultery mainly). Feeling left out because I was late for the ashes got me to thinking why we as people have the urge to express our wrongdoings. I'm an abnormal Catholic in that I love going to Confession. I go face to face to my priest, not behind a curtain. I want someone who I know quite well to look me in the face and tell me it's OK I messed up, even when I mess up big time. My fervor is this is unique, but not the sentiment. I have heard there's even a 900 number now where you can call and tell a stranger about all the things you feel bad about. I said all this about Ash Wednesday because I know why I look forward to the mark on my forehead. I am comforted by the stares and whispers and questions. I like the opportunity to tell people something about my religion and myself. I plan to spend the rest of my life in Catholic ministry through whatever opportunities are presented to me (and whatever the priest talks me into helping out with.) In the spirit of our class going outside of their comfort zone, I invite anyone who has never been to a Catholic mass or more formal worship service to come to church with me one weekday morning. Most Catholics give something up for Lent, but this year I'm giving up nothing. I rely on my current vices too much to attempt 40 days without a drink or cigarette. So instead I am planning on going to daily mass every day until Easter. If anyone would like to go to a mass I am more than happy to go with you so there will be someone to answer all your "why" questions. We can even go to a parish that is convenient to you. (My parish has mass at 8 in Bartlett straight down Sycamore View from the school. It's about 10 minutes away.)

No comments: