Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Arcade Hotel

I have become obsessed with the Arcade Hotel. I love old buildings like that, and can lose myself in the history at times. I've been searching for information since we saw "Mystery Train", but there doesn't seem to be much available. However, not to be intimidated by a small obstacle like that, I have emailed a couple of local history type organizations in search of whatever they can give me.

I plan on sharing whatever I find out with the class. I'm really intrigued by the place, so I hope I'm able to learn all about it.

Is anyone else curious?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

both Faith and I would love to find out more about it. we both love exploring old, abandoned buildings. I'm glad we're not the only ones...

ray e williams said...

If you are interested in the Arcade Restaurant, then you may also be interested in a restaurant called Itta Bena. It is located on the third floor of the building that B.B. Kings Restaurant is in, 143 Beale. Until the mid-1960s the third floor had been the home of the Black Professionals Association. The third floor was also home to many civil rights strategy sessions.

The third floor of 143 Beale has since been converted into a restaurant that is considered one of the finest in Memphis. It is a little pricey, but for a special occasion it seems like it would be worth it to explore some of Memphis' lesser known history.

Jeni said...

Thanks for telling me about this, Ray. I'm definitely going to check it out.