Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In response to Jeni's post about taking the kids to the Civil Rights Museum...I just went on so long that I decided not to put it as a response, but as my own post. sorry, ya'll.

I would say that of course the children brought up to a closed mindset will continue to perpetuate those thoughts and actions. they won't know any better. as almost all 12 step programs say, not until you realize and admit the error of your ways can you make any change to those ways. I was brought up as a child in Miami, Florida and my parents are not racist, however, my mother would always have us lock our doors and roll up our windows when we drove through the (mostly) Hispanic sections of town. admittedly, she had a valid concern, the crime rate was much higher there. however, her behaviour passed on to my little subconscious mind that Hispanic people and danger are associated. for years, I would experience unreasonable fear when I met Hispanics or heard the language. it wasn't until I was a grown woman that I began to examine the reasons behind my fears. I still occasionally experience that instinctive response, but now I know where it comes from and I can face it and work through it. which is a good thing considering that my nephew and nieces are all hispanic :) funny how God works in our lives...

No comments: