Tuesday, April 14, 2009

public dancing

a friend of mine posted a youtube video that was taken in a train station in the central train station in Antwerp, Belgium. over 200 people performed a dance that they had only rehearsed twice. the public was entranced and by the end you are not sure if all of the dancers are the ones who had rehearsed or if some of the public gets involved. it made me want to be a part of something like this and several years ago I was when we did One River Mississippi. however, it wasn't spontaneous like this and in the middle of such a public place like a mall, etc. it was well attended, danced on the banks of the mississippi, and filmed for Sundance. however, I find myself wondering what it would be like if a theatrical or dance troup, or just a group of like minded people got together and performed something like we see here in this video (I am posting the link) I wonder how Memphians would react. what does everyone else think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeni said...

Krista, was One River Memphis filmed other than for Sundance? Whether yes or no, can it be found online or elsewhere?

Unknown said...

not that I know of Jeni. I wish it had been. I could call Kimberly Baker who headed it up and see if she had her husband film it. it was really amazing to take part in. a lot of hard work, but so worth it. and incredibly moving to be a part of something that was going on simultaneously in 7 cities up and down the Mississippi River, from Minnesota to the Delta, it was incredible!