Thursday, April 2, 2009

5 Reason I love my apartment in Midtown

OK, so I'm finally moved into the wonderful building at 1957 Madison and I must say it's better than I dreamed. What exactly is so great about being here well, let me tell you...

1. I love the sound of cars driving by at all hours. I grew up on Stratford (for you non-native Memphians Stratford is what Covington Pike turns into after the car dealerships before dead-ending into Summer) and cars drive by at all hours. At night I was serenaded by cop cars, fire trucks, the occasional big rig, plus dozens of cars, trucks, and vans. When I moved to Tipton Co. and Millington I missed the feeling of being in the middle of something. I love seeing the neon signs filter through my bedroom window and the rumbles from the street below. Even in my sleep I'm part of something.

2.I love the black and white alcove that is my shower. I love how it feels like a little sanctuary. It even had an arched overhead. I love how old bathtubs are long enough I can stretch my legs out in, which is hard to do with long legs. I even love rediscovering how in old buildings the hot water takes a while to heat up, so you're standing in the shower and the temperature jumps suddenly 10 degrees and then it's scalding hot. It reminds me of being a kid and learning the right combination of hot and cold before you got in the shower.

3.I love being close to so many things. It's less than 20 minutes to school and work. There's so many places to go and try new things that I don't know where to start. I want to go back to the Vietnamese Restaurant; I want to go to Bosco's and Blue Monkey; I want to go to Beale St. I can't wait to have more time to discover all the wonderful things Memphis has to offer.

4 & 5. I love doing something I've always wanted and discovering myself. I've always wanted to live in Midtown, but there was always someone telling me I couldn't. I hate it took me getting a divorce and turning twenty-six to discover myself, but I'm so glad I finally am. This move feels like what I should be doing. I am a Memphian. I love this city and am glad to live here. Even with the crooked politicians, soaring crime rate, and sinking educational system, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. This class has shown me all the great parts of Memphis I've missed out on and I can't wait to get out of my new place and get out into Memphis

2 comments:

Douglas Branch said...

Nice posting, Kathryn. I'm very glad you're having this experience. I think it's very exciting that you're so open to these kinds of new experiences: and I supsect your life will be very different after this move.

Faith Palmertree said...

Trust me, from this point forward, you will discover yourself in new ways every year. At the age we are at (26 for you and 28 for me), there are so many things we learn, and you are such a different person every year at the end. When I turned 27, I thought my time of growth was coming to an end, but oh was I wrong. I have grown SO MUCH in the last year.