Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Crawfish Festival

So I made it to the crawfish festival and my first venture into Midtown was a huge success I think. I walked to Bayou Bar and Grill with my folks. My mom was super excited to be going, my step-dad was less enthusiastic, but he's kind of hard to read sometimes. The first band, Snowglobe, did not impress me too much. But Amy LaVere was amazing. She sounded even better live, and she plays the bass, which really impressed me. The crawfish were not so great. I like mine spicy and delicious, but these where kind of bland. The vendors where really interesting though. I got something I think is uniquely Southern, if not uniquely Memphian-honeysuckle incense. It makes me happy when I light it up. I also got a purse made from a Johnny Cash album and album cover as a tribute to my new found love for Memphis music, even though I've been in love with Johnny Cash for years. The neatest thing about the Crawfish festival was the cross-sections of Memphis represented there. There were people from a biker gang, hippie people, college students, and yuppies all converged in the same area and having a good time together. Seeing all these interesting and diverse people made me really want to do an image makeover. I need a new, exciting, different look to reflect all the changes on the inside I've experienced this semester, due in large part to this class. Thank You from the bottom of my heart to everyone who has sat and talked to me as I pondered Memphis, my place in it, and life in general. You all have made me a much better person. I've even stopped using "Ya'll" when typing as a result of the blog. The miracles are endless.

As a side note, I tried another Memphis bar Saturday night. The Young Ave. Deli is a cool little bar with awesome food at the corner or Cooper and Young that had a great band, the Electric Nobody, playing. The post-card they gave me with the band info coincidentally has their picture in front of Arnell's which I know we've talked about in class.

No comments: