Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hustle and Flow Comments

One thing I've noticed about Hustle and Flow is the wide range of feelings and emotions we all have responded to it. A movie like this makes people think and hopefully about new things. I think we have to be careful in our thoughts not to judge or presume things about other people though. Those that know a little about my background, know that I should be the poster child for the lost soul working in a strip club, but I'm not. Not that I'm against it, I was just saved by a decent education and a really good job (that ironically I got because I was 16 and the guy in the pharmacy liked my looks.) I think we've been really fortunate in this class to being open to everyone elses ideas and speaking our mind without stepping on anyone's toes. A movie like Hustle and Flow,however, can step on some toes, and the way we've responded to it has the potential to step on some toes as well. I know I've gotten to talk to except Trenika about the movie, and I understand and respect her reasons for not wanting to see this movie. What amazes me if we've all had different opinions about what the movie says to us and what the movie means as an artform. I think the reason is we all come from vastly different backgrounds, but most of us have been exposed directly to this darker side of Memphis in one way or another. My father owned a strip club before I was born, some of us have worked in them, some of us have had to watch loved ones lost in this world. I think it's fortunate we've all been able to express ourselves honestly in this class and hope we continue to do so in a way that is respectful to where other people are coming from, even if we don't know exactly everyone else's background.

No comments: