Thursday, April 23, 2009

Elmwood Cemetary

I was so excited about the Elwood trip. It's the one trip I had been looking forward to all semester and I was not disappointed. Since I grew up visiting the family cemetery often to clean and have picnics there, I've always found odd comfort in being connected to the past in someway by being in one. Elmwood makes me particularly feel this way because of the history and diversity in the cemetery. I really like seeing the different monuments and markers. I was disappointed we didn't get to see Annie Cook's grave, but was glad I got to see Ginny Moon's. I plan on going back to see some of the graves we missed and do some headstone rubbings for my apartment. As we walked through I enjoyed the tour that was given, but found the private conversations I had with others about what I liked and how the cemetery made me feel much more educational. Thinking and talking about death with others made it an almost intimate experience. I was glad we were able to continue the conversation at dinner for those of us that were able to go to Jasmine's

Jasmine's was also an excellent restaurant that I'll have to go back to. I've never eaten tofu, so to order a vegetarian meal was unusual for me, but it was absolutely delicious. The atmosphere was also nice. I've eaten in midtown once or twice since moving, but an open-air dining experience where I could see all the people walking down the street was quite nice. After Jeni and I ate we went to Quetzcal to use the computers, which is a great Internet cafe/bar on Union across the street from campus for those of you who have never been. It too has a great atmosphere and is a nice place to study, catch up with friends. You do have to pay for the computers, but it's only 10 or 15 cents a minute.

We ended the evening by going to Theatreworks to see a production of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. The small theater was intimate and fascinating. The production was excellent and I could not take my eyes off one of the actors the whole night. He was able to convey whole meanings just with his facial expression. It's playing through April 26 and you should go see it if you get the chance. I will definitely be going back to see other productions as well. Being within walking distance of my apartment means it may be my new favorite place to go for a night out.

No comments: