Saturday, March 28, 2009

Trolley tour of the art galleries

I was very impressed by the art galleries on South Main. It’s funny I’d never been no where near them, in all of my 30+ years of living in Memphis! However, this has changed the way I’ve read Memphis and altered my sense of the city, in a way that, believe it or not, I didn’t quite know that Memphis had so much to offer in that regard. I was quite informed. But, actually, I’m not that much of an art person, reason being, I’m moreso into music and theatre, both being my favorites. I like gospel music and just about any live play. Nevertheless, art is something that must be appreciated, since it’s a form of spatial intelligence. My sense of Memphis was altered by the intellectual crowd and trendy restaurants that I observed in this environment. I now have more respect for downtown Memphis, quite different from years and years way back-when I used to go on Beale with my teen friends. I stopped going because at that particular point in my life, right after high school, I thought, I can either make it or break it. I chose to get more serious and began investing in my future academic goals, which is what I am currently building on right now. Subsequently, that was one of the best choices I’d ever made in my life! I’m glad I made the trip, because this has dramatically changed the way I perceive Memphis, now with a much more positive perception verses my last visit, almost 10 years ago. The trip had such a positive impact, I ran home and told my hubby all about it. We plan to revisit some of those same places that the class and I went to. As for the trolley, never had rode it, until now. It was so exciting for me, although I was a bit scared! It’s a good way to get connected to all that Memphis has to offer. It’s just easier on the trolley. Why drive? The trolley is a great connection to all the restaurants, shops, downtown hotels, galleries, attractions, sporting events and everything else Memphis has to offer in the Pinch District, Beale St., S. Main Arts District, Peabody Place Mall, Fed Ex Forum, Autozone Park, Riverfront and more. Can’t wait to go back with the family!

1 comment:

Faith Palmertree said...

I did not know that Memphis had so much to offer downtown either. The last time I hung out downtown, I was taking pictures of poverty and homelessness, and pretty much all of downtown had something to offer in that regard!