Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Honors Inquiry Schedule

Dear Class—

I’ve made some changes in our schedule for the rest of the semester. I hope the times and dates work for folks! So. . . .mark your calendars. I think we have some fun, educational, and edifying activities in store, all designed to deepen our understanding of Memphis.

I’m skipping the Stax tour. I think it would have been a lot of fun, but I think we can only do SO MANY activities. The fact that they’re closed on Mondays doesn’t help, either. I would encourage one or more of you to go on your own, though. I’ve noticed the blog sort of slowing down. I would be very impressed by some blog entries on Stax.

And speaking of the blog, I’d really like some thoughts and impressions of A Raisin in the Sun. I think we’re agreed that we were pretty impressed with the production. But what about larger meanings of the play? Remember, too, that this blog is designed to give y’all the opportunity to write about activities OTHER than things we do as a class, too. I’d like to see more of that—like Ray’s rollerderby entry.


I would like you to be sure to participate in EITHER our March 26 OR our March 27 activity. I’ve spoken to a few of you, and there seemed to be enthusiasm for both. It would be GREAT if you were able to participate in both. But if you MUST choose just one, you may. Please LET ME KNOW by email, by Monday, March 23, if you plan on attending BOTH the Brooks and the Trolly tour or just ONE of them. (I need a headcount, for the Brooks, so I need to know what your plans are. If anybody’s husband, wife, or friend is coming, let me know that, too)

Thursday, March 26. Our Honors Academy meeting is at 2:00, P-2. I’d like as many of you as possible to make it to the meeting, as we’ll be discussing Honors Academy activities for the coming year. And then for our Inquiry activity, meet at the Brooks Museum at 4:30. I’d like us to spend an hour and a half just browsing the museum. There’s a very interesting exhibition of Southern quilts right now, and a cool, smaller exhibition called “Contempt for the New.” And at 6:00, we’ll be attending a lecture I’m looking forward to. Brooks Director Cameron Kitchin will be discussing the role and response of public art museums in culture wars and art controversies of the past three decades.

The cost for getting into the galleries will just be $3.00 And the lecture itself will be free. (The Brooks normally charges for these lectures, but agreed to allow us in for free. You might want to thanks somebody when you get there.) but I’ve made reservations for us all, except for Kathryn, who said she couldn’t come.

Afterwards, I’d like for us all to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant I love. (And vegetarians will be happy!) It’s on Cleveland, and it’s called Saigon Le.

Friday, March 27. I’m glad you all like each other, since we’ll be together for two nights in a row! But I think the trolly tour of the art galleries on South Main sounds like a lot of fun. I’ve heard it is. Let’s meet in front of Parking Can Be Fun, on Union, at 5:45. We can walk together to a trolly stop and hang out. Let’s just play supper by ear that night, don’t you think?

Monday, April 6: Regular class time, Honors Office. This will be our viewing and discussion of Hustle and Flow. I’ll bring soft drinks and popcorn!

I’d like as many of you as possible to come to the National Poetry Month celebration on Thursday, April 9. It’s a Brown Bag Lunch, 12:30 in Fulton Auditorium. Greg Brownderville, a poet who lives in Missouri now, will be reading. He’s really excellent (and handsome, for those of you who are interested in handsome poets.)

Friday, April 10, I’m having a cocktail party for Greg at my house in Oxford at 7:00 PM. The address is 608 Martin Luther King Drive. I think it would be very nice if cool Honors students showed up for this. This is not a class requirement, obviously, but you’re all invited. And I’d like you to RSVP by April 3, so I can know how many to prepare for. Husbands, wives, and friends are welcome.

Not a requirement. But I’d like for you to try to come to the Honors Convocation in Nabors Auditorium on April 14. It’s at 3:00. I’d like you to wear your shirts, too. (Does anybody need an Honors shirt?) I don’t quite know WHAT our duties will be yet, but I’m going to figure out a way to make us a visible presence.

Friday, April 17: Our Elmwood Cemetery tour. Mary Ann Boydala, one of our professors at Southwest, has given these tours for years. .. .and I hear they’re wonderful. Let’s meet at the cemetery at 1:45. Of course, I’ll be happy to have an early dinner somewhere afterwards.

I’m giving you the next week off. I’m sure you’ll be wanting to PERFECT your presentations, which are scheduled for. ….

Monday, April 27. 6:00. The TENTATIVE location is Fulton Auditorium. I’ll talk about presentations more at some point, but they need to be at least 15 minutes long. They may, however, go as long as ½ hour, if necessary. Let me know if you think you’ll be requiring ½ hour.

We’re going to invite the campus community, especially Honors students, to attend the presentations. You may certainly invite friends and family as well. Please do, in fact. And I think we should all go someplace hip and fun afterwards! Young Ave. Deli?

No comments: