Monday, March 9, 2009

A Raisin in the Sun; Reaction

The play was fabulous. Memphis has great local talent. They really pulled it off. I was amazed that the guy was able to portray Sidney Poitier so well. As a matter of fact, I pulled up a portrait of Poitier in his younger days and found an uncanny resemblance of the two actors as well. What captured my attention was that Jarron Robinson, as Walter Lee was able to be so antsy and fidgety, personality wise, just as the original versions intended. Hooray, for the STCC alumni! Precious Morris did an excellent rendition of “momma.”All the characters were fantastic in their performances. As many times as I’d seen the play, three to be exact, I never once knew that it was originally named The Crystal Stair, although I’ve read the poem, which by the way, is just as fantastic. I love how they modified the play just a little, to include a little modern language throughout the casting and also at times in their background effects. That was a big risk to modify the play the times that they did, luckily it was a great move. The core concept of the play is “The Dream Theme.” An African American family chases the American Dream. Walter Lee wants to pursue a business venture as momma informs him, “we don’t come from a line of business people, we are workers.” This shows the generational conflict between him and momma. It was good to see Travis, as a young boy, was interested in work at such an early age. Think I’ll let my children join me next time, especially for that portion of the playJ. This is one of the ethical lessons passed down to him (Travis) from the family. Although Walter was emasculated most of the play, I always enjoy his defining moment of manhood when he has to turn down Mr. Linder’s provocative financial incentive in order to teach his son some sense of morality, that up until that point, unfortunately, Walter fails to exhibit much of. Let’s not forget the sentimental value the plant has, I understand it to symbolize the hope and growth that momma looks forward to, verses a raisin that would ordinarily dry up in the sun, when their money leaves. Even after they experience despair, the plant is still there to symbolize hope and to express Ms. Younger as well. There is a multitude of valuable principles that one may grasp from this play. I learn something new every time I see it. It is truly a play that is not just historical but has many broad abstract ideas that will help one understand cultural behavior too.

No comments: