Monday, March 23, 2009

Sun Studios

I was not able to go to Sun Studios, due to a terrible run-in with the Unemployment Office, but I read some stuff about it and decided to blog anyway.

My brother-in-law recorded at Sun Studios once. He was very proud of it. I actually didn't know why at the time, because I really do not care much for Elvis. I really like Johnny Cash now, but I don't think I had discovered him yet (this was like 5 or 6 years ago). His band was called Solace For Now, and they were actually really good. If I remember correctly, he actually recorded with Saliva at Sun Studios as well. So, that is really my only experience with them. I was really upset that I didn't get to go, because being a musician, I would really have liked to see that, and maybe build a dream of recording there some day...

I knew that Sun Studios had something to do with Elvis, but I didn't know that was how he got his start. It seems strange to me that he was just an 18 kid with a guitar and a dream hanging out at a studio and doing demos that didn't really impress much of anyone, and then BAM the most well-known musician in history. It seems strange to me that Elvis was once a musician on the same level as me (recording and famous wise).

I found this video that kind of ties into two of our class things - its black and white pictures from Sun Studios and it uses the song "Mystery Train," which was used in the movie with the same title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyEIchHv4G0

I actually think its pretty weird that Sun Studios is famous enough for people to make tribute videos to it, and I'm a musician, and I didn't know what it was in my brother-in-law was telling me all about recording there.

No comments: