Sunday, March 1, 2009

Memphis Roller Derby

Saturday night I took a trip, through the pounding snow and iced over roads, downtown to the Fairgrounds. The reason for the treacherous journey was the Memphis Roller Derby. I was not very familiar with the roller derby, and to be honest i had no idea that they even played roller derby in Memphis. It was an interesting experience to say the least. The game consists of two teams of frighteningly tough women, clad in helmets, pads and mouthpieces, skating in circles trying to beat the crap out of each other. The crowd was much larger than I was expecting, and from what I could gather it was a smaller crowd than usual because of the weather. Besides the game their is also live music before the bout and during halftime. The halftime entertainment was a band called Noisechoir featuring STCC's own Lehman Sammons on the drums. If you are interested in the Roller Derby, check out their awesome website: www.memphisrollerderby.com.

3 comments:

Douglas Branch said...

I think this sounds like a hoot, Ray. I've never quite understood roller derby. Are there rules that make sense, and does the game have a discernable object?

ray e williams said...

When you got to a game they give you a program that contains the basic rules of the game. I can bring my program to class for to take a look at, but you really cant understand the game without watching it.

Kathryn said...

Would you bring the program with you to class sometime, I'd like to see it. I'll have to check out the website and see if I could make it to one after I ger off work one Saturday. It definately seems interesting.