Monday, October 5, 2009

Give Honor Where Honor is Due.

The visit to the Nathan Bedford Forrest Park was interesting to say the least we had a very good discussion about Nathan Bedford Forrest and the reason why he is in the park. We all had different point of views for different reasons. I actually don't mind the fact he is buried there. I would just like them to write in that he was one of the founders of the KKK since that is a part of his history as well. I believe that was intentionally left out. We as a people have come so far that a statue in a part does not discredit us. If anything it shows how far we all have come not just blacks but whites as well. We should not say that this man doesn't deserve to be Honored because of his past. I believe people can change if given the chance.

1 comment:

Ansherell said...

That is so true April. When I visited the park, I didn't even know we could actually commune there. Many times I saw people just walk through the park and never just sit there and relax. In my opimion the park is there just for viewing. There are not many benches there that are in good conditon and there aren't any playgroung equipment either. I wasn't bothered by the statue because it is an object and Nathan Bedford isn't alive anyway. It happened before my time.