Wednesday, October 7, 2009

In Whitman's Words and Mine

Beat! Beat! Drums! is a poem written by Walt Whitman that describes how what was being looked at as a short lived war is going to turn into a long, drawn out war. Also describes the thought of how the civil war was disrupting all aspects off life, both adult and children, civilian and soldier. Whitman's words were very inspiring. I dedcided that I would write a poem inspired by his. However, after a deeper anaylsis of Beat! Beat! Drums!, I realized that I already had. A Beautiful World is a poem I wrote after the 9/11 attack. I entered it into a poetry contest and became a semi-finalist. My poem was published in The Colors of Life, an international library poetry book.
A Beautiful World
A beautiful world,
A world full of kindness and grace,
A world that's just a beautiful place,
A world were no one stands alone,
A world were no one is without a home,
A world were peace is abound,
A world were love is all around,
A world were everyone believes in God,
A world were parents don't have to use the rod,
A world were war does not exist,
A world where people laugh and reminisce,
A world where the sky stays nice a blue...
Wow!
Wouldn't that be so beautiful if it were really true?

No comments: