Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chapters 3 & 4 of our reading

In my reading of chapter four, I was amazed at the statics of Memphis in the fields of education. Memphis has a graduation rate of 48.5% which is one of the worst in the U.S. It ranked fourtieth in the graduation rates among the fifty largest public school systems. Our poverty rate is 23.5 %. I also thought about what I read about how we have a fortune 500 company, FedEx, in Memphis. If that is so then why are we in poverty? I have not heard about FedEx giving back to the community of Frayser in which I live. It is down the street from my residence, yet the community is still in shambles. Also it amazed me in chapter 3 how large shelby farms is in comparison to other city parks. I was also stunned that they were even considering putting an interstate throught Overton Park. How outrageous......

No comments: