Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Day at the Dixon

Eyes that speak to you, landscapes that move you, and sculptures that entice you: these are the elements that the "Bold, Cautious, and True" exhibit posses. History lies within the walls of The Dixion Gallery. There, history is told without saying a word.
Never again will I attend a museum so casually dressed. Upon entering, there were middle aged ladies wearing their Sunday best, as if they were going to church or a tea party. I entered the Dixon decked out in Aeropastale sweat pants, polo, jacket, and tennis shoes. I felt so out of place. However, all of my out-of-place feelings went away when I entered the exhibit. Reading the timeline of Walt Whitman, and observing and reading about the portraits, made me feel secure in myself. My mother pointed out that if not for the war, we probably would've still been serving Master his tea. The exhibit featured a painting by Thomas Satterwhite's The Price of Blood really spoke to me and my mother. The painting shows a mulatto (mixed) young man being sold by his white father to another slave owner. Being very fortunate of not being a slave, I came to realize my freedom: my freedom of dress, freedom of speech, and freedom to just be me. There were other paintings and sculptures that stood out from the rest. The scuplture The Freedman by John Quincy Adams Ward really made my mother gasp. She was in awe of how Ward dipicted a "strong black man" as she said. All in all, the day at the Dixon was unlike any other day. It was filled with history, art, and appreciation.

No comments: