Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Re-Visit to Elmwood Cemetary

A few weeks back, we went as a class to experience the historical Elmwood Cemetery. Our visit was almost life changing for me. Before our visit, I never viewed a cemetery as a place anyone should EVER go unless they are there to celebrate the life of a loved one. After experiencing the cemetery as a class, I had a complete change of heart about cemeteries, and over the break, I found myself back at the last place that I ever expected myself to be in my spare time. During our fall break, a few friends of mine came back into town from school. We were looking for a quiet place outdoors to have bible study, and I suggested that we go to Elmwood Cemetery. The experience was even better than the first time when we went as a class. We got the opportunity to do the audio tour, which is extremely informative and interesting. It tells you about the construction of the tombstones and gives background information on the people who are buried there. Also, we bought a book in the gift shop that shows pictures of the tombstones in their original condition. Additionally, one of the workers informed us of a website that we could go to to track our ancestors and find out where they were buried. Since then, we have went on the web, and one of my friends found her Irish great-great-great-great grandfather's grave right here in Memphis! It was so exciting to research our history together, and I believe that it brought us closer in the process. I encourage the rest of our honors students to track their ancestry. There are many sites on the web that are dedicated to helping people find information on their family members. You never know, your great-great-great-great grandfather could have been a famous war hero and you never knew it!

No comments: