Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nathan Bedford Forrrest Picnic

I enjoyed our picnic yesterday a lot. I just wish I had remembered to get a picture taken! I even asked Graham to bring his camera, but then I forgot to ask him to take a picture.

One more thing: we need an article for this event in The Reflector. Somebody needs to write an article, I'd say in the 400-600 word range, and get it to me soon. I'll let the first person who volunteers to write it have that assignment. It would be great if I could get it by next week.

I was struck by so much during our picnic, but especially how the Nathan Bedford Forrest Park really did seemed designed to encourage people NOT to linger. We talked about the few park benches, all of them broken. We noted that there was no playground equipment and that the pavillion was in bad repair with nowhere to sit. The only real "amenities" were the pieces of equipment put up for joggers, giving them a place to stretch. Again, the idea is this is a place to jog to, maybe jog around, but not linger. It's interesting: do you think that either on a conscious or maybe even a subconscious level the city government doesn't want people to spend too much time in that park because of the negative connotations of what it represents for so many people?

No comments: