Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dixon Gallery & Gardens

One of the great things about this class is that even though I have little knowledge of Memphis and a not so great preconceived notion of what is it suppose to be, yet, I am learning around every corner there is something new and fascinating. The drive to the Dixon Gallery was not any different from any other drive I have made, but for some reason on my way down Perkins Exeter I was mesmerized by the beautiful park dedicated to the survivors of cancer. I had no intentions on being late for my tour so I headed there early to make sure I would not be late. Because I had a few moments to spare I could not help but stop and admire the art work right there in the park and think about how important that was for me being that I have lost so many of my family to cancer and also because I am a survivor myself.The entrance to the Gardens of the Dixon Gallery was deceiving as I thought that this was going to be a small place with a few trees to look at. But to my amazement I saw acres of grass that made me want to sit down and write about everything that I felt in that moment. I decided to take a stroll around before I had my architectural tour and found myself lost in thought of what it would be like to be a child playing in this garden. Illusions of fictional characters played around in my head as I took a seat in this enchantment imagining this must be how Alice felt in wonderland.
Reality set in as I made my way to the gallery to hear about the great Architect John Staub who built the home for the late Hugo and Margaret Dixon. The house itself was smaller than I would have thought should have been on 17 acres of land, but then again it made since with the flow of nature that the architect envisioned.
The tour explored the idea of simplicity in a family home and how Staub’s intimacy with his clients helped to create homes that did not just fit the clients need but embodied their personality. From the meticulous crown molding everywhere to the Georgian columns that greet you as you enter the home; Staub made sure to make the home tell the story of the owner while inviting you to come in and get comfortable.
You could see all of the French and British influences in the home, and in spite of the renovations to meet current needs the home still reminded me of a plantation house. From what I could gather about the Dixon family, they dedicated their lives to philanthropy efforts and charity through their love of art which brought me to the Gallery today. I have been to many art galleries and museums but today I was up close and personal with a Claude Monet, and that alone was the highlight of my tour.

No comments: