Sunday, September 13, 2009

Whitman the Nurse

The ideas that each artist conveyed in their pieces help to transform the Gallery into a time warp that made the words of every history book read up until that moment seem so bona fide. I love art, it is a silent voice of every artist emotions behind the covered canvas that can yell at a person to act or be a part of a cause. For every brush stroke I felt a million unspoken words that the people in the paintings wanted to say to me, but because they were frozen in time and space I was left to create my own version of their life story.

The reality of war was the subject of the exhibition…from death, to the irony of slaves fighting for freedom it all said “remember me”. There was so much to say about the exhibit and the many pieces of art on display, but the most momentum came from the gallery holding “The Wound-dresser” theme. Being that I am a nurse in process I could appreciate the hard work that Whitman put into trying to save the lives of the wounded and hurt soldiers. He literally went from looking for his brother to a nurse in a matter of minutes. I had just read about the health care changes that took place during and after the Civil War, but to see it from his perspective and to read the corresponding poetry about his experience made it more than just a story of the past but a reminder of my future in nursing.

No comments: