Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nathan Bedford Forrest Park visit

Our picnic yesterday at Nathan Bedford Forrest park was a pretty good experience. Before our outing, I had walked through the park, but never really visited it. A lot of things were pointed out yesterday about the condition of the park that I had not previously noticed like the worn out benches and the unkempt exercise equipment. I had never noticed, but it really is different from all of the other local parks; it almost seems as if no one truly supposed to picnic, exercise, or play there. While the grass is kept nice and neat, and the trees are trimmed, all of the things that attract people to parks such as benches, playgrounds, and cooking areas are non-existent. In my opinion part of the reason is the fact that the park is so tiny, and the other part of the reason is that the park is so very controversial. I also finally got a good look at the statue of Nathan. It was very pretty and well made.

A lot of people are hurt by the fact that the grand well-made statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest, co-founder of the KKK and Confederate War General, stands in the park today in the 21st Century with a historical land marker. Perhaps the same amount of people would be very angry if the statue were to be torn down. I am pretty sure the statue will always be a subject of debate, but for now the pro-Nathan debaters are definitely winning.

Personally I do not like to speak on issues that I have such passionate feelings about because I have such a one-sided view. After leaving the park, I spoke with my great-grandmother who was born in 1909, and is still alive. She was very displeased to hear about our picnic in Nathan's park. She is old enough to feel the pain that is connected to the actions of the KKK. She (obviously) thinks the statue should be torn down. On the other hand, my great gran is very old, illiterate, and she does not have a progressive attitude. After talking to her, I felt as if that way of thinking is old-fashioned. The statue does not necessarily symbolize racism, it is more or less a tangible object that makes sure that African-Americans know and appreciate how far they have come as a people.

No comments: