Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wanda Rushings: YOU'RE AWESOME!!!!!!!

It amazes me how people from the outside can always find beauty in things that go so unappreciated. Would you believe that Wanda Rushings isn't even a Memphis native. She was born and raised in North Carolina. I couldn't belive it myself. It made me realize what big of impact that Memphis has on people. My whole life, all I ever wanted was out. I always wanted to head out to Los Angeles. California has always intrigued me. However, I've become open to the many beautiful, interesting, and historical places in Memphis.
Wanda brought out a quite a few things worth noting. She said, "Places lose their individuality due to globalization." Nevertheless, Wanda refuses to believe that Memphis has loss its individuality. She talked about Beale Street. She gave great insight as to what it was and whta it has become. I believe Wanda's first time coming to Memphis was for a job interview in 1998. Personally, as a Memphis native, I'm not all too into Memphis. I don't really visit around Beale street or midtown often unless I'm with my honors inquiry class. Before taking that class, I really had no interest in it at all. Wanda's interest and love for Memphis is so relative and foreign at the same time. I understand why she loves Memphis but I don't seem to love it for those reasons. To me, Memphis is home. It's not Beale street, it's not Sun studios, and it's not the blues.I love Memphis because it's what I know and it's where I've made memories. I feel as though Memphis is to Wanda what Los Angeles is to me.
All in all, Wanda's book makes me realize just how much there is all around me. Memphis isn't L.A. but it has just as much style, a style I'm still learning about.

No comments: